It’s common knowledge: crafters have a thing for bags. And they’re useful even for the non-crafty recipients on your list. Here’s a sample of the useful and lovely bags we have in the shop.
1) We already showcased our JP Knit & Stitch knitting kit (available “fully loaded” with knitting notions, or empty–and full of potential); why not complete the JPKS set with hand silk-screened drawstring bags. Available in two sizes and three designs. (And, yes, the pink one has glitter!)
2) We recently picked up a stack of zippered pouches from Fine Frock, a handsewer from Somerville. These surprisingly roomy bags make them perfect for small projects like socks or embroidery, or for holding the essentials and leaving your purse at home.
3) No use for bags? Try Sarah Coyne’s fiber-themed cards, made just for JP Knit & Stitch. It’s the perfect way to send a gift card or seasonal good wishes. Love Sarah’s style? She’ll be teaching a silk-screening workshop this February.
4) We love Third Floor Studio’s project and tool bags! It makes sense; Christine picks out her favorite fabrics from our selection, and then sews up the bags we want and need. She’s even making needle cases, too! Each bag is one-of-a-kind, so come pick out your favorite (or favorites).
5) Allow me to introduce my holiday mantra: there’s still time! JP Knit & Stitch is open for two more days before Christmas and the last night of Hanukkah, so you still have time to pick up the fabric to sew up a quick drawstring bag, tote, or zippered pouch.
All of these bags and cards are awesome enough to give on their own, but if you’d like to tuck a little something inside, we’ve got ideas for that too, from adorably packaged kits to super quick knitting projects. And, of course, we’ve always got gift certificates!
Read all Crafty Gift Guide, News
You may be working away on all of your projects for the holidays (and if not, can we suggest these?), so this week, we wanted to gather up something completely different: inspiration, in the form of books! We have carried crafting books of all kinds in our library since we opened our doors over three years ago. In this era of Ravelry, social media, websites galore, we still find a space for the inspiration that can come from a beautifully curated book. Here’s some of our current favorites, but it is in no way exhaustive! Come browse our library to find your own favorites.
For everyone: Kaffe Fassett’s Dreaming in Color is a coffee table book and memoir of a unique and talented knitwear, fabric, and yarn designer. This book is beautifully illustrated and full of Kaffe’s personal observations and inspiration. Contemporary Prayers to Whatever Works is a beautifully meditative, empathetic volume of wisdom and wishes from local artist Hannah Burr. Knitting Yarns gathers accounts of knitting from a stable of incredible authors. And I had A Favorite Dress is a picture book for all ages.
For crafters who are just beginning: Taproot is a quarterly magazine of recipes, projects (including a knitted cowl), and profiles. This issue’s theme is bread (yum)! Pom Pom Quarterly is an adorable knitting and crochet magazine, with patterns and plenty of eye candy. Networks contains tutorials, patterns, and essays on street art, basketball nets, and more.
For serious knitters: These books aren’t really serious, but they’re for knitters who have begun to knit, and are ready for something more. Up, Down, All-Around is an unconventional and modern stitch dictionary, perfect for the knitter who wants to start designing their own projects. Yokes by Kate Davies contains yoked sweaters of all sorts, overviews of the yoked sweater in history, culture, and design (along with gorgeous landscapes). Fair Isle and Nordic Knits features colorwork aplenty! (And stay tuned for a colorwork class in 2015!)
These are just some of our current favorites. We carry many books for the knitter, sewer, or crafter in your life and a book, in our opinion, makes a perfect, timeless gift.
Read all Crafty Gift Guide
Sure, technically a pair of fingering-weight socks is a one-skein project, but with the holidays fast approaching, we went looking for one-skein projects that are fast but are still fun to make and a joy to receive. Nearly all of these patterns are available on Ravelry, and we’ve got enough yarn to make one for everybody on your list.
1) Put a Pompom On It, with one skein of Cascade Magnum (with PLENTY left over for the pompom). Make a little tassel instead for your more demure friends, or make a colorful pompom from scrap yarns for extra personality.
2) The 10-stitch cowl is actually two skeins, but since you can knit it in one movie night, we just had to include it. The pattern is a cinch: with size 50 needles, Knit Collage Pixie Dust and two strands (one from each end of the ball) of Cast Away, cast on 10 stitches. Knit for 24 inches, cast off, and sew the ends together. Done!
3) Fatneck Cowl, with one skein of Fat & Sassy Merino. Even faster than the 10-stitch cowl!
4) Waiting for Winter Mittens & Fingerless Mitts, made with one skein of Lady Dye’s Superwash Merino in our custom color! We like this pattern so much, we’re teaching a workshop on it beginning this Saturday.
5) Jacques Cousteau Hat, from one skein of Dirty Water Dye Works Edna (or two skeins of Manos Silk Blend). This DK-weight hat will take a bit longer, but is perfect for the folks on your list who want less chunky accessories.
6) Nom Nom Nom Cowl, knit with one skein of Manos Maxima. Let’s end with something delicious: cozy, simple, and worsted weight. Use a semisolid tone or one of Maxima’s gorgeous multis!
Read all Crafty Gift Guide, Knitting
We had such fun last night celebrating the first pattern release from Blueprintsforsewing, the Cabin shirt + shift. See below all the version – present and future!
Read all Events, Fabric, News, Projects, Sewing
We are so excited to host the pattern release party for Blueprintsforsewing’s very first pattern the CABIN shirt and shift. To celebrate we are having a
FLASH FABRIC SALE!
Tonight from 6 – 9pm all fabric (*except for the Nani Iro) will be 20%off. We will have refreshments and lots of Cabins on display and lots of other goodies. Let’s celebrate!!!
Read all News
It’s December 1st, and it’s time to start thinking about presents (if you haven’t already). JP Knit & Stitch is here with crafty inspiration, whether the people on your list are makers too, or all about a final product. Here are our favorite gift ideas this week.
- We love kits, and the embroidered pendants from Red Gate Stitchery are super chic. Made of laser cut bamboo, each kit comes with everything you need to stitch up a super stylish necklace that’s colorful and nature inspired. And since you’re stitching in wood instead of fabric, it’s really easy!
- If you’re looking for a gift for a knitter, how about our JP Knit & Stitch knitting kit? It comes with everything a beginning knitter needs (and all the tools an intermediate knitter like me is always losing)! Don’t want the tools? We sell just the awesome zippered pouch, make by EnviroTote and designed by Taylor McVay, too!
- We can’t get over the cuteness of these DIY Embroidered Doll Kits from Kiriki. The bear is shown here, and we also have kittens, foxes, owls, and–of course–sloths!
- It’s another amazing item from Taylor McVay: the Cabin pattern from Blueprints for Sewing! Whip up a top for your next holiday party, then make the shift dress for your favorite stylish friend. Or get the sewer on your list the pattern and a spot in our Cabin Shift + Shirt Workshop in January! (And don’t forget to come to the Blueprints for Sewing Cabin Release Party on Friday.)
- One more kit because we can’t resist! We’ve carried Threadfollower animal kits for a long time, and Charlotte Fox is the newest kit. Once she’s sewn up, grab a bit of extra felt to make her a whole wardrobe!
- And lastly, yarn! We grabbed two of our newest and most festive arrivals. Fat & Sassy Merino, our very thickest yarn, and Kin Gin, a sparkly lace weight. Hold them together to make a super-fast, super-cute cowl, or just use them as holiday decor!
Read all Crafty Gift Guide, News, Sewing, Yarn
Page 1 of 4612345...102030...»Last »