In this 3 week course, students will be guided through the process of making a craft-sized quilt from start to finish. We will break the process down into manageable tasks including preparing and cutting fabrics, piecing the quilt top, quilting, and finishing. Students will gain an understanding of the quilting process and confidence to pursue future projects.
Class Dates: Jan 25, Feb 1 & 8, 10:30am - 1:30pm
Instructor: Rachel Rodrigues
Level: Confident Beginner. Has taken a beginning sewing class or has similar experience. Can use a sewing machine and sew a straight seam.
- 4-6 coordinating cotton quilting fat quarters (1/4 yd cuts also work)
- ¾ - 1 yd fabric for sashing
- 1 1/2 yds of fabric for the quilt back
- 1/2 yd of fabric for the quilt binding
- rotary cutter
- acrylic quilting ruler (6"x24”)
- 1 spool white cotton all purpose thread
- 1 spool colored cotton thread
- quilter’s safety pins
- craft size cotton quilt batting (46 x 36 inches)
- General sewing supplies including: fabric scissors, seam ripper, washable fabric pencil/pen, straight pins
For all sewing classes - if not stated above, please bring (or purchase) the following in addition to what the teacher has asked:
- Class 66 bobbins (plastic; please bring at least 3)
- Fabric scissors
- Universal machine sewing needles
- Seam ripper
- Dressmaker’s pencil or tailor’s chalk
- Tape measure 60”
- Sewing gauge
- Tracing Paper (optional)
- Pre-washed Fabric
A few helpful notes and tips for sewing classes:
JPKS has machines for you to use, but it's always preferable to familiarize yourself with your own tools whenever you can. If you have your own machine at home and it's not too much hassle to bring it, please feel free to. No need to bring your own iron or board, though.
Registered students receive 10% off their supplies for the class.
To register, please select the date of the class you want to attend, add this class (and more if you wish!) to your cart, and then proceed to checkout.