Beginning Quilting (July)
Starts: July 9, 2017 12:30 pm
Sundays 12:30pm – 3:30pm
Meets on: July 9, July 16, July 23
Instructor: Rachel Rodrigues
Level: Advanced Beginner (should have some experience with using a sewing machine)
Try our Sewing Crash Course.
Cost: $100 plus materials / Students get 10% off supplies purchased at JP Knit & Stitch
This 3 week course is a perfect introduction for students who are curious about patchwork and quilting. The class will introduce you to all the basic steps that go into making a quilt from start to finish and provide you with the confidence to explore more quilting projects in the future. By creating a small quilt made from half square triangle blocks, students will learn rotary cutting, piecing, quilting, and binding.
Week 1: We’ll start with some basic info about quilting, fabric, and useful tools. You will have an opportunity to purchase fabric if necessary. Students will learn to use their rotary cutters to cut the pieces for their quilt and begin to sew their quilt blocks.
Week 2: We’ll get down to some serious piecing. Students will finish piecing their quilt blocks and decide how to arrange them in their final quilt. Students will trim their quilt blocks and sew their quilt top. At the end of the class we’ll talk about how to form and baste the quilt sandwich so that we can start quilting in week 3!
Week 3: Quilting, Quilting, Quilting. Students will choose simple walking foot patterns for quilting their projects. We will prepare and attach your quilt’s binding. Two options will be presented for finishing your binding by machine or by hand. You will go home with a finished or close to finished quilt ready to be washed and enjoyed!
Sewing outside of class: Depending on your level of sewing experience, you should expect to do some sewing outside of class in order to finish your quilt. JP Knit & Stitch sewing machines are available for free use after class if no other classes are scheduled in the studio space. The machines can also be rented for $10 per hour any other time the sewing studio is unoccupied.
Materials (all materials are available in the shop at a 10% discount for JP Knit & Stitch students):
- 2 yards of unwashed cotton quilting fabric ( Recommended: two 1/2 yd cuts of warm or high volume prints and two 1/2 yd cuts of cool or low volume prints)
- 1 1/2 yds of fabric for the back of your quilt
- 1/2 yd of fabric for your quilt binding
- rotary cutter
- fabric scissors
- seam ripper
- acrylic quilting ruler (6″x24″ recommended but 12.5″x12.5″ square will also work)
- washable fabric pencil/pen
- fabric scraps for practice
- 1 spool white cotton all-purpose thread
- 1 spool cotton machine quilting thread (your choice of color – Coats and Clark, Gutterman, and Mettler all make this)
- quilters safety pins
- straight pins
- craft size cotton quilt batting (46 x 36 inches)
- sharp, thin hand sewing needle (recommend sharps size 9-12)
- Because this is a three hour class, you may want to bring a snack!