Modern Improv Quilting Workshop
Starts: May 7, 2017 2:00 pm
2 Sundays 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Meets on: May 7, May 21
Instructor: Judy Tucker
Level: Experienced Beginner. Some experience required; this is a great class for students who have taken a beginning sewing class. Students should be comfortable threading and running a sewing machine.
Cost: $75.00 not including supplies. Registered students get 10% off supplies purchased at JP Knit & Stitch.
Love all the beautiful new quilting fabrics but don’t enjoy precision quilt piecing? Or are you an experienced quilter and want to try something new? This 2 session Workshop is for you!
We will be using The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters—A Guide to Creating, Quilting and Living Courageously by Sherri Lynn Wood as a guide to help you create a unique quilt top with no rulers needed! However, you do still need to sew a consistent ¼” seam so your quilt doesn’t fall apart in the wash.
This book equates traditional piecing with classical music and improv piecing with jazz. There’s a basic “Score” but how you place the pieces is your choice. There are 10 “Scores” in the book to choose from. Several are easy, just requiring basic piecing skills. A few require advanced piecing skills. You can choose one that fits your skills and experience.
Week One: Discuss the mechanics of Improv Quilt Piecing, choose the “Score” you want to follow, pick fabrics and begin cutting. If time allows, start piecing your quilt top.
Week Two: Piecing the quilt top. Depending on the “Score” chosen, you may need to continue cutting fabric as you progress.
- The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters—A Guild to Creating, Quilting & Living Courageously, by Sherri Lynn Wood, SCT Craft, 2015
- Rotary cutter—recommended but not mandatory
- Fabrics of your choice: The shop sample is 25 x33”. Fabric needed to make this small quilt: Three ¼ yard cuts, ½ yard of the fabric which was fussy cut, 1 yard backing, ½ yard binding. (JP Knit & Stitch now has Fat Quarter Bundles, a good starting point if you struggle with coordinating colors) Note: You may make any size quilt top. Fabric amounts will vary based on the “Score” chosen and the size of your top.
- Straight pins if sewing curves
Suggested, not mandatory:
- 12.5 x 12.5” square ruler to gauge initial cut size, but not required for cutting your pieces
- Applique hand-sewing needles if you plan to applique your pieced work onto a background (Only needed for a couple “Scores” requiring advanced piecing skill)
- You are welcome to bring your own sewing machine