08 Dec Gift Guide #2: FAST One-skein Projects
Sure, technically a pair of fingering-weight socks is a one-skein project, but with the holidays fast approaching, we went looking for one-skein projects that are fast but are still fun to make and a joy to receive. Nearly all of these patterns are available on Ravelry, and we’ve got enough yarn to make one for everybody on your list.
1) Put a Pompom On It, with one skein of Cascade Magnum (with PLENTY left over for the pompom). Make a little tassel instead for your more demure friends, or make a colorful pompom from scrap yarns for extra personality.
2) The 10-stitch cowl is actually two skeins, but since you can knit it in one movie night, we just had to include it. The pattern is a cinch: with size 50 needles, Knit Collage Pixie Dust and two strands (one from each end of the ball) of Cast Away, cast on 10 stitches. Knit for 24 inches, cast off, and sew the ends together. Done!
3) Fatneck Cowl, with one skein of Fat & Sassy Merino. Even faster than the 10-stitch cowl!
4) Waiting for Winter Mittens & Fingerless Mitts, made with one skein of Lady Dye’s Superwash Merino in our custom color! We like this pattern so much, we’re teaching a workshop on it beginning this Saturday.
5) Jacques Cousteau Hat, from one skein of Dirty Water Dye Works Edna (or two skeins of Manos Silk Blend). This DK-weight hat will take a bit longer, but is perfect for the folks on your list who want less chunky accessories.
6) Nom Nom Nom Cowl, knit with one skein of Manos Maxima. Let’s end with something delicious: cozy, simple, and worsted weight. Use a semisolid tone or one of Maxima’s gorgeous multis!